Friday, June 20, 2014

Oh man! What an adventure it has been so far. I'll break up what happened into segments.

Travel!
I left from San Jose airport and arrived in Japan roughly ten hours later. I flew ANA Air and actually enjoyed the in flight meals as they were all Japanese. Each seat had it's own little TV thing packed with new movies and games. There was a short 2 hour layoever in Japan before a 6 hour flight to Bangkok via Thai Airways. My layover in Bangkok was 12 hours, though, so I had already booked a room in a very cheap hotel. When I say cheap, I mean I could hear everything through the walls. For some reason I was waking up every fifteen mintues :/ I then left at 6 in the morning to catch the flight to Bali and waited at the airport for my family to catch up to me.

All in all, it was about 36 hours of transit. I have made the trip dozens of times, but it does not make it any easier. The worst thing about traveling is perhaps the constant state of jet lag as you pass into new time zones waiting for your body and mind to catch up. Oh well, just another price to pay to get to far off places I suppose. 

Kuta Beach!
This was our first stop in Bali and a major tourist destination. Bars, nightclubs, and Starbucks litter the streets. This place is just crowded and noisy. But it's not without its charm. The hotels are extravagent and exotic. The one we stayed at had a beautiful balcony pool that overlooked the ocean. 

The first night was pretty boring since the entire family was jetlagged. My brother and I tried to explore the nightlife, so we walked around for about 2 hours before giving up and going home since we were so tired.

The next day we lounged around(it's vacation right, we dont always have to be doing stuff) and got full body massages. Here's the funny thing about massages though. They always sound like a great idea. Who wouldnt want to get all the tension out of their muscles and become utterly relaxed as the massuse works away all the stress. But then the massage starts, and you start remembering why massages might not be so great. First they douse you in body oil. Then they start with the pressure. I have never quite understood how such a tiny massuse can generate so much force, but I guess that is just another one of those "mysteries of life" kinda deals. After about 5 mintues, your skin feels like it is going to fall off. Sweet, only 55 more mintues of this. The rest is just a pure test of will power and the mind over matter thing. Thankfully I survived, and all I can think is how I never want a massage again.

The rest of the day was spent hunting jewelry for my mom. We then went to one of my favorite restaurants, Made's Warung, and walked around the shops. I don't particularly like shopping, so I just looked around and walked. We finally made it back to the hotel, and I just lounged around the pool for the evening.

The next day was our last day in Kuta, and I spent it trying to learn how to surf (again). For a scant 12 USD, you can rent a board, a rash guard (I cannot understate the importance of the rash guard. Without it, I had a very tender underbelly...and nipples), and an instructor. They are nice enough to teach you the basics on land and then they take you out a bit into the ocean and push you into the waves. It was quite fun, and I managed to get up a few times. Luckily we werent in very deep water, so my ocean-phobia didnt set in too much.  

Pemuteran!
Once we left Kuta, we undertook a 5 hour journey to a place called Pemuteran, which is on the Northwest part of Bali. We all packed into a Toyota Avanza (not available in the US) and went up super windy and super narrow (I mean like two cars barely fit on the road narrow) roads. That centerline in the middle of a road is an exact measurement and tells drivers just how far another car will come out. Luckily I was asleep most of the time so I was not clinging for dear life as we narrowly avoided other cars/motorcycles/chickens/free falls.

I gotta say though, Pemuteran is one of the better bits of Bali. It's very small, and the scene is almost the opposite of Kuta. There is nothing to do here, in a good way. The hotel pool is about 20 feet from the ocean. The beach is very short and lined with chairs and trees. It is very calm and soothing to just sit on the beach and listen to the waves hit the shore. I especially enjoy that no one is in my face trying to sell me stuff. So, if you are into relaxing and beautiful, try out Pemuteran!

Today, I went out for a bit of snorkeling. I saw some fish, along with some coral, and I was back on shore kissing the ground. I love the ocean, I just dont love being inside of it. Afterwards I got a nice relaxing facial. Oh man, it was probably the most relaxed I have been in a while. I got some time to think and just not be around my family haha.

General Comments:
So here is just some general observations I have made about my trip so far:
-The drivers here are super scary, but they are also super good at driving. You feel like your life is about to come to an end at nearly every moment, yet these guys know the exact dimensions of their cars and are able to pull off some pretty crazy stuff. I dont think I ever want to drive here...

-The price of living is very cheap in Bali. Getting a nice house would probably cost under a thousand a month. The food is very cheap, roughly 5USD for a good meal. Alcohol, on the other hand, is quite expensive.

Anyways, more to come! I am enjoying this trip very much and you should all think about coming to Bali!

No comments:

Post a Comment