Sunday, July 10, 2011

Kuta Beach!

Woke up at 10 am this time. I just love sleeping in and wasting the day away....okay not really but we weren't doing anything today so i had nothing better to do. Anyways, we went out to lunch at this place called Furama, which is a Chinese seafood restaurant. Good stuff! I ate beef for the first time in a really long time. We'll see how it turns out tomorrow....After Lunch we went directly to the beach. Kuta beach to be precise. We sat on the sand and my mom got a massage, and then i got a massage. It felt okay, but for as cheap as it was, i couldnt complain. Afterwards, we got up and looked for a surf instructor. They wanted 25 bucks for an hour, but my mom bargained down to 13.....

Awlright, sew tewday eye tuk aye crak att tha wip four serfing! My Instructor was a dude by the name of (something i couldnt understand or remember) and he was ....26? anyways, luckily he knew how to speak English, although i think it would have been okay if he didnt. Well we go out into the ocean and he holds the board for me as i attempt to jump on. Success! i lay down on the board and he sees a wave that is just right. He tell me to paddle with my extremely weak arms as he pushes me. I catch the wave! now he tell me to stand up on the board. This bit is slightly trickier than the flailing around i was doing before. So i push with my arms off the board and get a foot underneath me. Okay, everything okay so far. Next foot now...uh oh im losing balance. I get the other foot on the board but i am already falling off the surf board. Sploosh! I feel like a newborn dear trying to stand on its feet. Well i run back out to my instructor as he laughs and laughs and we try again. This time i am able to stand on the board and take it all the way to the shore! I was excited. So this goes on for a few more times and now he refuses to help me. He tells me i need to catch my own waves, which i agreed to. I get on the board and paddle out a ways. He tells me to catch the next one. So i eggbeater with my legs to turn the board around and lay flat. I start to paddle as fast as i can (my arms just wont do it for me though) and i surprisingly catch the wave! I do that for a while and then there is a spell with no waves whatsoever. We wait there, the two of us, talking about various things. I tell him he should come out to California sometime as the surfing is nice there too. He informed me that he is originally from Sumatra, another island in Indonesia, and he has only been living in Bali for three years. He said he moved to Bali because he loved the surfing. So now he is a grom.

Well that was a fun Experience. I highly suggest surfing if you ever find yourself in Bali. The waves arent bad and the instructors are very friendly. Also, it is super cheap out here. Oh, and the water is really warm! dont even need a wetsuit.

Tomorrow is my last day in Bali, not sure what we will do yet. Perhaps we will go Visit Uluwatu. 

-Aaron "Abalone" Brown

4 comments:

  1. 25 to 13?! your mom is amazing. and hope the beef was choice-meat

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUDE!!! You're such a toolbag. I like how quickly you ate beef...haha

    Anywho...again, I'm so proud of you for taking on the ocean...those small schools of fish ain't got nothin on you!!! haha....

    see, the ocean really isn't that bad is it??

    I'm glad you had fun surfing...you've already made way better progress than I ever have (which isn't saying much...that'd be like someone complementing Steve Irwin on his ability to notice and capture sting rays...thats not too soon, right?)

    Anyways, Mr. Albalone...continue to enjoy your Adventcha'...Uluwatu looks awesome....manifest pictures of it somehow...

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beef??? I'm impressed. :) Surfing sounds like fun and it sounds like you caught on very quickly! Everyone, and by everyone I mean my little brother, that I know that tried surfing found it extremely difficult. Caleb is supposed to teach me so we will see how that goes...

    ReplyDelete