Sunday, July 17, 2011

Semarang so far...

Well we left Jogjakarta a few days ago. We stopped by Muntilan, which is the town my mom grew up in, on our way to Semarang. We visited some old friends and then went over to the Buddhist temple in Mendut to visit the monk who is responsible for my name. Aruna is my Sanskrit name, and it is supposed to mean the morning light. But i heard this interesting story about the Sala Flower. Banta Panya (the monk) told us that on the bottom of the flower, there is a small mound that is supposed to represent the Buddha. Surrounding the mound is a lot of little stalks, which are supposed to represent the monks listening to his teachings. Above them are the longer stalks, which represent the deities. I thought it was pretty interesting.  Then we started the long driver to Semarang (okay only 3 hours, but long in my mind). But driving in Indonesia isnt like driving in the US. hahahaha. There may be lines on the road, but they are mere suggestions as to where cars should be. A good was to describe it is to imagine the Harry Potter night bus scene. Then dont change anything. Except that every car is like the nightbus, there are more chickens, horses, and motorcycles, and the roadsigns dont really make much sense. So yeah, if you ever come to Indonesia, i suggest trying to sleep in the car, or at least close your eyes because you will get sick if you see the kind of crap that your driver is pulling (it's a constant game of chicken). I wish i was kidding.

Well we got to Semarang still alive somehow, and then we went to dinner at some vegetarian restaurant (didnt know they existed here). It is considerably hotter in Semarang than in Jogja and Bali, and there are a ton more mosquitoes. It's not like they carry any infectious diseases though right? oh wait....

The next day we spent bumming around town. We went to the Paragon mall, found that there is nothing there, and then my brother and I went to a game place to play some more games. After i developed a mild case of carpel tunnel syndrome, we went back to the paragon mall to eat. I had the luxury of eating food that made me cry because it was so freakin spicy (that was my fauly though. we had soup and i put in three helpings of chili sauce after my mom said it wasnt hot at all. Thanks Mom). Then something very strange happened to me.

I like to think of myself as someone who is perceptive and aware of their surroundings. Not much gets passed me. Well now im pretty sure there is a lot that does after what happened. Well we were waiting in a lobbyish place of a parking garage and i sat down on a bench/couch thing. This is what happened according to what i saw: I sat down at the edge of the bench. There was some guy next to me but not too close. I started playing with a balloon with my niece. The man got up at some point and some woman sat down in his place, she was dressed completely in black, but i ddint really see anything else. didnt see her face at all. I continued playing with the balloon and then my aunt comes and sits right next to me. I thought it was strange but didnt think much of it. Then we left. Here is the story according to my aunt and brother: When the man left and the woman dressed in black sat down, she was a prostitute seeing me as a potential victim. Not just a regular prostitute though, a transvestite prostitute wearing lots of heavy makeup. "She" kept making eyes at me and playing with her ear and stuff while looking directly at me. So my aunt came to my rescue and sat between us. I NEVER NOTICED THIS! After we left, my aunt told me about it. needless to say, i kind of freaked out and was quite surprised i never noticed a thing. So this means two things: prostitutes are so subtle that i would never be able to tell a prostitute from a regular person, and i am completely oblivious of my surroundings.

Well we then went home and i got foot reflexology done on me by my aunt. Usually a foot massage is a pleasant things and i was looking forward to it. She uses these little metal tools to get pressure points too. I guess i forgot how much they hurt. Things started well as she was reteaching me all the pressure points on the foot and what part of the body they correspond to (it is, after all, one of my objectives to learn reflexology again). Then she started using the metal things. It was so freakin painful, my entire foot went numb. But she said that was normal as i screamed out in pain. I dont think i have ever made anyone elses foot numb...at least i hope not. But she said my intestines were in pain cuz of the transition from vegetarian to eating meat again.

The next day (yesterday) we went to the fruit garden. I learned a lot about the different fruits that are grown in Indonesia. There is Dragon fruit which kind of tastes like a less sweet kiwi, Rambutan (tastes like...hmm lychee sort of....), Longan (like lychee but with a pit that is hard to not eatcuz it sticks to the fruit), Durian (the king fruit, tastes very interesting and smells so strong that most hotels wont allow them in the rooms), and Papaya. It was a very interesting tour. Very informational too, or at least im sure it was. If i could understand what the tour guide was saying i might be more help....

We left there and stopped by tofu making "factory" and had some interesting soy milk...then continued on our way to koepang. In Koepang, it isnt a billion degrees but a very chilly mid 70s. Oh, and there is a high ropes course with flying foxes and all sorts of aerial obstacles. It was so much fun. My hands had all sorts of blisters afterwards though haha. maybe ill upload some real pictures soon...maybe. If i can

Well that has been my days so far in Semarang. not sure what is up next but im sure itll be not boring.

2 comments:

  1. hello Aaron, welcome back!!
    how's the journey back to state?
    huahaha.. I had a big LOL reading this... make me miss semarang..

    ini juga bikin aku jadi kepingin ngblog lagiii
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete