Saturday, July 9, 2011

Visit to Ubud!

I have completely lost track of time since coming here. I dont have a watch and i am unable to tell time with a 24 hour clock (anything past 12 is just too confusing). But i think i slept in the most i have this entire trip (all the way to 9am!). didnt do much this morning though. I did take my first official Indonesian Shower though! So what we do is we take a bucket. Fill it with warm water. Get a smaller pail and scoop water out of the bigger bucket. That's it. You use far less water this way, esp since heating water is quite harder to do here. So say what you will of the techinique, it's golden.

So after my induction to Indonesian hygenic habits (they also use bidets, which i use too now) i had some bread and waited around till we decided to go to ubud. Ubud is, to my knowledge, a small mountain village. It is home to the monkey forest, which is a forest.... that has monkeys in it. We didnt go into the forest this time just because we have done so many times beforehand. The monkeys are naughty and steal anything you have. they can even get into you backpack and take things from there. So, needless to say, it is something you only want to do a few times. well we went to ubud and...shopped. I bought a little painting for my room, but we didnt do much else. We had dinner at a restaurant called Warung Wayan and i ordered the Nasi Campur, which is a sample dish that has rice and a ton of different other dishes. Then we got lost on our way back and took super long to get home haha...

I have also been put on duty for helping to take care of the little tykes. The kids are so cuuute. But i gotta say, the 18 month old definitely has a nice set of lungs. She can shriek when she is upset. And the 4 year old can definitely be mean sometimes haha. I guess that is just the way kids are.

So anyways I have been here for a day or so and here is what i am noticing again about Bali and Indonesia in general:
SO MANY MOTORCYCLES! seriously there are too many! They are like cockroaches weaving in and out of every nook and cranny. With 5 people on them! I think it is because they are so much cheaper than buying a car. I mean if you can fit 5 people on a motorcycle, whats the point of owning a car right?

When you are shopping around for stuff, you must bargain to get a good price. There was a pair of sunglasses (obvies fake) that someone wanted to sell to me for 50000 rupiah (a little more than 5 USD as the exchange is 8500 rupiah = 1 USD). I got it down to 5000 rupiah. I mean, i still didnt want to buy it but thats not the point lol.

Anyways, tomorrow i think we are going to the beach to take surfing lessons or something. Hopefully i dont get swallowed up by the seaaaaaaaa!

2 comments:

  1. ugh....you would like that kind of showering....haha

    your Nasi Campur thing looked intriguing...im sure some, if not all of it, was delicious....i know i would at least enjoy the rice...haha....

    please don't get killed by the motorcycles...and dont forget to get me a shotglass while shopping...

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now the question is, was the shower outdoors or indoors? :) Sounds like a fun way to shower, difficult, but fun. The monkey forest sounds awesome! Kind of reminded me of the monkey from Night at the Museum that would always steal the keys... hehe. Have fun surfing; you're from Santa Cruz so it should be a piece of cake! :)

    ReplyDelete